Valley View Mens Golf League Rules and By Laws Spring 2019
I. League Definition
- All Players must be at least 21 years of age
- League members should consist of Valley View residents; past Valley View residents; and VVMGL member family, friends, and associates.
- All VVMGL players from the previous year must be drafted before any new members are considered, unless all attempts to contact past player have failed with no response prior to League Draft Day.
- Draft Priority for new members goes to residents of the Valley at the time entering the League.
- The League should consist of 8 Teams, which will play a regular schedule of 9 hole matches.
- League play should commence the first Thursday in May and continue on Thursdays weekly until the Thursday preceding Labor Day.
- The League season schedule will be divided into two halves; with each Team scheduled to play all other Teams. The Team with the highest point total at the end of each half will be declared Half Champions ; and will compete for the League Championship on Jamboree Day.
- Point totals for each Team start anew at the beginning of the second half.In the event the same Team wins both halves ; that Team is declared League Champions; and the second place teams from each half will compete In Jamboree Day for second place.
II. Governing Body
A. The VVMGL Board should consist of :
League President League Secretary / Treasurer 8 Team Captains
The Board Duties are to :
Control League Play Adopt Rules of Play
- Decisions of the Board are based on the majority vote by a quorum of the Board Members.
- The decisions of the Board are binding on all VVMGL members.
- The VVMGL President will not vote as part of a quorum except in case of tie votes.
The President and Treasurer should be elected from one of the current Captains; . and preferably someone who has not recently/previously been President or Treasurer. Election should be conducted by common polling at Jamboree Day event
C. President Duties
- Call / Conduct meetings of the Board as required and/or upon request of Team Captains.
- Maintain rosters of VVMGL members and sub list members
- Maintain/ update/revise VVMGL By Laws as needed
- Present Annual Budget to Board for Approval no later than by May 1st
- Schedule and publish all matches
- Score all matches and communicate / publish results in timely manner
- Maintain relationship with Golf Course Management
- Coordinate all VVMGL activities/contests /events ( weekly games; Position Night event, etc )
- Coordinate / facilitate Jamboree Day Championship and Events
- Record and communicate elected President; Secy/Treasurer; Team Captains for the following year.
- Transfer all VVMGL records / documents / materials to incoming President no later than January first.
- Inform Golf Course management of incoming President and Treasurer contact information ASAP following Jamboree Day.
D. Secretary /Treasurer Duties
- Record / maintain notes/minutes from VVMGL Board meetings
- Create / prepare annual VVMGL Budget for President / Board approval
- Publish year end Treasurer statement and financial accounting to President/Board
- Provide Financial statements / P/L statements to President and Board as needed
- Maintain ongoing financial records of income and expense and reconcile all accounts.
- Collect all VVMGL member dues and greens fees
- Make all VVMGL payments. Maintain bank account and bank relationships.
E. Captains Duties
- Draft Team members and communicate Team roster to all Team members.
- Communicate VVMGL dues/green fees as established by Board at pre-season Captains meeting.
- Establish season long schedule of players ; communicate to President no later than April 15th.
- If possible ; conduct pre-season Team meeting to outline VVMGL rules/ procedures.
- Collect upfront all Team members season fees and deliver to Treasurer no later than May 1st.
- No player may compete for Team Points until his fees are paid.
- Maintain schedule changes/ substitutions on VVMGL Website as season progresses.
- Maintain control of Team conduct and Team substitutions throughout season ; communicate substitutions ASAP to President.
- Notify President of any Team member with excessive scheduling issues / forfeits.
- Captains are strongly encouraged to have their Team provide at least one prize for flight gifts/ hole contests for Jamboree Day.
III. Team Makeup / Schedules / Conduct
- Each Team should consist of at least 8 men ( if at all possible )
- Team members must pay up front season long VVMGL dues and green fees. Team Captain should make every effort to collect Team fees as a whole for submission.
- No player may compete for Team Points until his fees are paid.
- Each Team member is responsible for adhering to their scheduled Play Dates.
- In the event a Player finds he must change his Play Date; he should ASAP work through his fellow Teammates and Captain to arrange for a fellow Team member to fill the scheduled slot.
- In the event a Player cannot find a Team member to sub / switch ; Player should work through the VVMGL Sub List ; and notify Captain immediately of the Substitution. Player/Captain should immediately update the Team schedule on the VVMGL website.
- Any weekly schedule changes or Substitute changes MUST be made to the Website prior to 8:00 pm on Wednesday evening. Failure to do so may result in a Forfeit for the substituted player.
- Under dire circumstances, and only at the discretion of the President - - if a scheduled Player has exhausted all resources from his own team and the Sub List - - and cannot find a Substitute ; another Player from that Team may be allowed to play a Double Match for points. The Opposing Team Captain can select one additional Player from the Team with only four players to play a double match. VVMGL President, and BOTH Team Captains involved must agree on invoking this special circumstance.
- Individual Players are responsible for collecting greens fees from any Substitute. VVMGL is not responsible for collecting greens fees from any substitute.
- Individual Players experiencing multiple Forfeits and/or inappropriate conduct / sportsmanship may be subject to Team ejection. A Player cannot be dropped from a Team unless officially notified by the Team Captain; with notification to the President. At the discretion of the President, the Player may be placed on the Sub List.
- If any Player forfeits twice; he risks being removed from his Team and placed on the Sub List.
- The Team Captain will draft a player from the Sub List to replace him. The removed Player is not entitled to a refund of VVMGL dues.. If the Player feels the removal is unjustified; he may file a Protest to the League President (as described in Section VIII Protests.)
- Rain Dates for each Half of the season are scheduled in advance. In the event of a Rain Out ; or in the event the Rain Date is not needed ; scheduled Players will earn a Rain Date Greens Fees Credit toward Jamboree Day entry fee ; or a direct refund at the close of the season. It is the Secretary/Treasurer responsibility to track Rain Date Credit / Refunds and verify with each Team Captain.
- Members of the VVMGL Sub List must play and record scores at least 5 times to be eligible for contests and prizes on Jamboree Day.
- Sub List members may need to pay an additional fee for participating in Jamboree Day. The Board will decide the amount of the fee; and if there will be a Sub Flight, and what if any contests the Sub Flight may participate in.
IV. Tee Off Times/ Procedures
- The Golf Course is reserved for VVMGL on Thursday evenings ; May until Labor Day.
- Prior to play; the President will post the scheduled matches and current handicaps of Players scheduled that evening.. The Golf Course will also post the scheduled matches at the Starters booth.
- Players from a minimum of two Teams must be represented in each playing group.
- VVMGL Tee Times and any special Tee Time procedures will be published to VVMGL members prior to the start of each season.
V, Inclement Weather
- The decision to begin or to halt play due to inclement weather will be the responsibility of the Golf Course management.
- Scheduled Players should contact the Golf Course to learn status of play.
- If play has begun and 60% of the scheduled matches are able to play at least 6 holes or more, yet unable to finish the round - - 2 points will be awarded for each of the 6 holes played and the match will not count for handicap purposes. ( see more under Scoring section ) If in that Evening, 12 matches cannot complete 6 holes ; the Evening will be called a Rain Out and be treated as a Rain Out Day, and no matches will count.
VI Matches and Handicaps
- Matches will be established by by the President / Website that will match the lowest handicap players on the two Teams as opponents ; followed by the next two lowest ; until all 5 players on each Team are matched.
- The nine match points will be determined by handicap.
- Handicaps will be based on 100% of the average score from par variance. Repeating Golfers will begin the season with the prior year's final handicap.
- New Golfers will establish their handicap the first time they play a scheduled match ; and Medal Play points will be split 1.5 to 1.5 with the opponent.
- The maximum handicap difference per hole between players will be 2 strokes per hole.
- Handicaps will be adjusted after each week's matches.
- Players over 65 years old may elect to play from the Senior Tees The decision to play the forward tees must be made on the Players first match of the year. If the Player elects to play from the forward position, they must play that forward position on all matches throughout the balance of the season.
- All playing groups must designate a scorekeeper.
- All scorecards MUST include first initial and last name of players.
- All scores ( including scorekeeper ) must be announced to the scorekeeper after each hole. All scores must be announced after the match.
- The highest score to be recorded is a 10. When a player reaches 10; he must pick up ; and his score will be recorded as a 10 with a circle around it. Player will also be listed as 3 putts. A player who picks up cannot win the hole; but can tie it.
- ALL scorecards must be turned into Scorers table or at Golf Course Pro Shop desk after play is completed. Failure to turn in scorecard could result in Forfeits for all Players on a missing scorecard.
- 12 points per round will be awarded. Match play will consist of 1 point per hole, and Medal Play will consist of 3 points per round. Both will be figured on a net handicap basis. In case of a tie on a hole ; each player will receive ½ Match point. In case of a Medal tie; 1 ½ Medal Play points shall be awarded each player.
- Inclement weather scoring - - If play has begun and 60% ( 12 matches ) of the scheduled 20 matches are able to play at least 6 holes or more, yet unable to finish the round - - 2 points will be awarded for each of the 6 holes played and the match will not count for handicap purposes. If 12 matches cannot complete 6 holes ; the Evening will be called a Rain Out and be treated as a Rain Out Day, and no matches will count.
- If a Player chooses to quit playing prior to completing six holes ; 2 points will be awarded for any holes played ; and the quitting Player forfeits remaining holes & Medal points.
In the case of forfeit
- Individual Forfeit - - opponent receives 8 points ; scored as 8 versus zero.
- Personal Emergency / Medical forfeit - - if a player is unable to begin ; or complete at least 6 holes due to a medical / personal emergency; the Match Points will be split 4 ½ to 4 ½ ; and the absent Player will lose the 3 Medal Play points.; resulting in 7 ½ – 4 ½ score. This will not penalize the absent player's Team with an Individual Forfeit of 8 – 0.
- Physical Handicap Forfeit - - in the case of extremely wet conditions; the Golf Course will make every effort to provide “ handicap carts “ for ONLY those Players who consistently rent riding carts due to physical limitations. In the event that “ handicap carts “ are not allowed ; the Cart player who cannot physically play will split the competition at 6 pts each. ( Scored 6 to 6 ) Team Captains must notify the President before the season begins of any Team members requiring carts. The President will judge if said cart request is appropriate.
- Team Forfeit - - - Opponent Team receives 40 points. ( scored 40 to zero )
Jamboree Day Scoring
- Championship Match scoring is scored as two nine hole competitions; as in the regular season.
- Teams playing for the VVMGL championship are encouraged to play ALL Team members.
- If there is a difference in the number of players participating for each Team; the Team Captain with the higher number of players will pick a player(s) on the opposing team to play in a double match. The double match Players will be paired against their original match and the player with the next lower available handicap.
- Protests must be in writing and filed by the Team Captain or Player within 24 hours of the dispute ; and must be accompanied by $ 20.00.
- The President will call a meeting of the VVMGL Board to rule on the dispute.
- If the Protest is denied ; the $ 20.00 will be deposited into the Treasury. If the Protest is affirmed, the $ 20.00 will be refunded to the plaintiff.
IX. Playing Rules
USGA RULES APPLY - - except for any Local Course Rules and the Listed Exceptions Below .
All foursomes must be represented by at least two Teams.
“ Roll “ Rule - - a ball lying in a divot in the fairway of the hole being played may be moved, with the club end only, up to six inches, but no nearer to the hole. This is allowed ONLY in the fairway of the hole being played.
Penalty = None
- Unplayable Lies
Natural Hazard - Ball may be dropped at the closest point of relief where the player has an unobstructed stance and swing , but not nearer to the hole. Must have consent of other players. Penalty = One Stroke
Unnatural Hazard - Ball may be dropped at the closest point of relief where the player has an unobstructed stance and swing , but not nearer to the hole. Must have consent of other players. Penalty = None
- Out of Bounds - - Play ball from the spot where it went out of bounds at the closest point of relief , not nearer to the hole , where the player has an unobstructed stance and swing. Must have consent of other players. Penalty = One Stroke
( Example = Hit the ball out of bounds from the tee, Player will be shooting three from the point the ball went out of bounds. Or - - option to re-tee; shooting three. )
- Ball in Sand Trap -
Sand must not be touched by club head prior to stroke. Penalty = Two Strokes and Loss of Hole
Ball in footprint or in poorly groomed trap may be lifted and placed within the sand trap, not nearer to the hole. Must have consent of other players. Penalty = None
- Ball in Water Hazard ( red stakes )
Drop ball at the nearest point where the ball entered the water at the closest point of relief , not nearer to the hole , where the player has an unobstructed stance and swing. Ball may be placed in fairway; but not nearer to the hole. Must have consent of other players. Penalty = One Stroke
- Ball Along Fence = if still in bounds; ball may be moved two club lengths; but not nearer to the hole. Penalty = None
- Ball Striking Flagstick
When ball is stroked from off the green …........................................ Penalty = None
When ball is stroked from on the green and Pin is unattended.............. Penalty = Two Strokes and Loss of Hole
- Changing Balls
It is permissible to change balls on the green ; but only on the green.
- All additional playing rules on back of scorecard apply, or any permanent or temporary local rules established by the Golf Course.
- To speed up play, the first player to putt should continue to putt out, unless doing so would disturb another Player's line.
- All balls on green must be holed out. There are to be NO “ gimmes “. Under any circumstance, if a Player hits or kicks his ball away from cup without holing out , the Penalty is One Stoke plus Loss of Hole.
Have Fun !
Keep Pace with group ahead of you
Respect other Players and The Course
Since 1963; VVMGL represents the example others play by !